Science at Great Marsden St John’s goes beyond just gaining knowledge. We aim for our pupils to be inquisitive, thinkers and actively seek to understand the world around them.
The areas of science we teach have been selected from the National Curriculum and these are often enriched with other experiences like hatching and raising chicks, visits to the farm and butterfly house for aspects of science learning.
Our curriculum focusses on building scientific thinking throughout our different knowledge areas.
Our children within each areas of the curriculum are able to
- asking simple questions and recognising that they can be answered in different ways
- observing closely, using equipment
- performing different tests
- identifying and classifying
- using their observations and ideas to suggest answers to questions gathering and recording data to help in answering questions.
Some of our key areas are Animals including Humans, Living things and their habitats, Materials, Plants, Electricity.